Filters (was Re: (OT:) (OT) (OT))

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Tue, 25 May 2004 09:48:18 -0700

>wonder if this post is OT.  I couldn't tell from the subject heading. :-)
>
>Good advice John.  Responding to these types of posts just starts a
>vicious cycle.  May I also suggest filters.  Rather than respond to
>the outburst of a couple of days ago I put the perpetrator on my
>filter list.  I won't see anything sent to me privately.  And I won't
>see anything sent by him to the list, unless someone else unadvisedly
>chooses to respond to something he says.
>
>Phil Ford
>
>    Phil
>    How do you do this?
>     Dale

It depends on how you view your e-mail.  My service provider is
earthlink.  They have a web based e-mail program that I can use, so I
can look at my mail on their server, and store it there if I want.
But I normally just download the stuff to my computer and look at it
with Eudora.  So, I have two places I can put filters.  Earthlink
allows me to do it on the web based mail program (which is where I do
it), or I can do it with Eudora once the stuff gets to my computer.

Earthlink has a thing called, appropriately enough, SpamBlocker.
 From the mail program, you click on the button and it allows you to
enter e-mail addresses that you want to have blocked.  Very simple.
It also sends me an e-mail once a day giving me a summary showing a
list of all the blocked e-mails, showing only sender address and
subject line, so I get to grin once a day looking at all the stuff
that didn't get a chance to irritate me.  I imagine that AOL must
have something equally easy (some other AOL user out there care to
give further info?).  That is the most crude form of filtering (don't
even know if it's called filtering - maybe it's called blocking). If
I wanted to do it on Eudora, I would go to the menu called Special,
and under that pick Filter Messages.  The filters on Eudora are much
more sophisticated, allowing to you sort mail into various files,
etc. (for example, I put everything coming in from pianotech into a
separate file, so it's easy to keep it separate from other things,
like private e-mails from people who are on pianotech).  But I won't
go further into that unless you want me to.  If you're using a mail
program other than Eudora it probably has something similar.

Phil Ford