Tuner's Knot--NOT!

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Wed, 26 May 2004 09:59:47 -0500

Since I have learned to tie well, I almost never change a broken bass =
string anymore. A new string usually sounds out of place in the set and =
takes forever to stabilize. But, the lower large diameter core strings =
are very hard to tie successfully. I have on occasion successfully used =
a smaller diameter leader than the original core. It is easier to work =
with, obviously, and strong enough to withstand the tension. You might =
try going down to a size 19 or 20. If that doesn=92t work, change it.=20
=20
Dean
=20
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802
=20
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On =
Behalf Of David M. Porritt
Sent: Wednesday, May 26, 2004 9:40 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: RE: Tuner's Knot--NOT!
=20
Dave:
I'm an odd ball and I know it, but I can see no reason to try to splice =
it.  A new string -- to me anyhow -- is a much better option.  If I =
spend more than 10 minutes on a splice attempt in a home, I tell them we =
have to order another.  Here at the school I keep a set of strings for =
Ms, Ls, & Bs.  When one breaks, I grab one from the set and about once a =
month order replacements to keep the sets complete. =20
Most of the bass strings that break here, break at the agraffe (from =
"energetic" practicing) so they can't be spliced anyway unless you don't =
mind a knot in the speaking length (I do). =20
This splicing thread comes up from time to time and while I did manage =
to splice one successfully for my RPT test, I don't think I splice 1 a =
year at most.  Yes, I keep all the sizes of treble wire in my car.
dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University