Tuner's Knot--NOT!

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Wed, 26 May 2004 11:05:05 EDT

<< I tried for about twenty minutes to get the leader(all I had was 21 1/2
string to use, and the core of the broken string was probably around 24), but
could not get it into position so that I could interface the two ends
properly.
The thick wire was pretty hard to work with, because of lack of flexibility,
but the main problem was that there was so little space in that little corner
of the piano. >>

Greetings,
  The 21.5 string may not have even held, so don't feel too bad.
  My knot is tied by making 270 degree bend in both the string and the
splice, then fitting them together.
   I take a small pair of vise-grips and grab the bass string at the broken
end.  I make a 3/4 loop by turning it clockwise until the end has passed back
over the string and crosses it at right angles,(the  end in the vise-grips will
be above the part that is coming out of the agraffe.) put a slight upward
bend in this loop so that it is closed and also so that its "hole" is more
aligned with the string,  you are going to be threading the end of the splice into
this hole, so you don't want it flat in the string plane.
   On my new piece, I grab the end in a similar fashion and turn it
counter-clockwise (270 deg.) until it also crosses over above itself.  I now have two
opposing twists.  It is important that the splice piece be at least 10 inches
long.  Now, take the splice part and invert it, so that the opening of its loop
is under the free length, and with it held at 90 degrees to the bass string,
hook the loop over the wire and bring it towards you so that long 10 inches is
dirctly above the loop in the bass string.  This is why you need the length,
so that you can easily thread the splice's long end through the broken strings
loop and then pull them together.
 This has never failed me and if done carefully only requres about 1/2" of
wire to make the knot.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT