Tuner's Knot--NOT!

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Wed, 26 May 2004 09:09:53 -0500

>  You will have to  twist the crook into position or loosen the hitch and
> mate the two ends then twist the string in the direction of the inner
> wrap. The twist will only be like a half turn or so and is not hard to
> work with.
>Joe Goss

Outer wrap, Joe, not the inner. The ratio of wrap wire diameters between
inner and outer wraps in double wrapped strings is about three to one, with
the heavy wire on the outside. I know they are wrapped in different
directions, but the mechanical advantage favors the outer wrap when you
twist strings. The thick wire on the outside, farthest away from the core
center, is what tightens the wrap by clamping the inner to the core, even
if the inner wrap is being loosened by the twist.

Ron N