For your Listening Pleasure - tuning thoughts

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@noos.fr
Wed, 26 May 2004 23:53:32 +0200

Well Ric, please don't misunderstand me, I am not to say the piano is not
perfectly tuned, I talk of preferences there...

in fact I feel in those kind of temperament that the minor harmony sound
more static, than major, while I prefer the opposite.

I simply tend toward a very much concentrated tuning those days, Indeed the
flu of the violinist is somewhat heard,
Clearly I don't know what I missed with the pure twelve's or pure fifths
tuning in fact, I was very pleased when I have done them, and I like to play
a piano tuned in pure fifths also.

Only the VT have installed me in another approach of the global justness of
the piano.

I recall when I was younger I find objections when I listen to tunings done
by older tuners that concentrate on the fifths and narrow octaves, but at
the same time I heard comments from singers and other musicians that seem to
appreciate at the most the mellowness and pleasing harmony of the piano, so
I keep that in a corner of my mind that something was to be expected with
that approach as well (I was stretching a lot in those days, as most of the
tuners at Steinway, and as more tuners where stretching than not this was
the general tendency).
After that, when I begin to use the VT the tendency reversed, and this is
when I noticed our "chief tuner" tuning with very minimal stretch (almost no
artificial stretch in fact)

I have the feeling that pure twelve's and pure fifths are giving some kind
of static in the global tone, but see no reason why this can't be
appreciated musically.

Again that is just that the VT100 bring me in a different approach to
purity, I don't know how it is attained, but indeed there is a preeminence
of fundamental harmony more than with stretched tunings where the harmony
locks more on the 2d partial level may be....

To check for stretch I often compare minor/major large intervals, if the
minor is too static I have too much stretch.

Indeed I certainly should not noticed the pure twelve approach if you should
not say so...

I apologize if I hurt you in any way that was certainly not my intention.

Best regards.