Keep On Truckin' (and Tunin')

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Wed, 26 May 2004 17:26:43 -0500

------=_NextPart_001_0002_01C44346.9D938900
For what it may be worth to people seeking ideas, here's my rig:

Excuse the dust, I just returned from tuning in a teeny little place
called--believe it or don't--Pucky Huddle. You take 19 North to
Cherryville then right on Hwy V to Davisville, left on the gravel into
the Mark Twain National Forest, up and down the hills, across the Huzzah
River, left on the 3rd dirt road, past Fillipi's place ... well, you get
the idea.

Pretty rural, here. I have many a creek to cross and deeply rutted
gravel and/or dirt "roads." So I opted for a little higher axels, etc.

I can carry any action, my tilter, etc., but I don't do it on any day
that even threatens rain. I do, however carry tarps and tie-downs, just
in case. The big box has stringing tools, wire, and some universal
basses for emergencies, drill, hammers, a kit of "regular" tools
(wrenches, etc.), pinblock jack, and a lot more. Also, the tray in one
photo shows all the tools I have very handy though they aren't used on
most calls so I don't have to lug 'em.

The smaller, side box has propane mini-torch, bag of glues and screws,
plastic fishing tackle boxes of piano parts, clamps, tiedowns and a
buncha other junk.

My main kit is the aluminum job seen in the photo of the interior. It
rides in the cab with me, as does a small shop vac, umbrella, and a big
tool box full of felts, punchings, action cloth, etc. All of this fits
behind the seats.

I use an iPAQ so there is a charging cord in the extra power outlet on
the console. The iPAQ gets plugged in between calls so I'm never low on
battery power.

The advertising wasn't cheap (!!!) but it has more than paid for itself
in new clients--I get flagged down in parking lots, sometimes.

The truck has a great CD/radio set-up, too. This is a nice feature for a
rural tuner--I'm in the truck a lot!

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO

---