what do you call it?

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Thu, 27 May 2004 22:20:09 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of John Formsma
Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2004 10:06 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: what do you call it?

I need some nomenclature help for a very non-critical item that has
gotten me curious since I repaired one today.

It's the small piece of wood in Japanese vertical pianos on the back
side of the top front panel. It's function is to rotate toward the side
panel over a pin and it holds the top front panel in place.

I've looked twice in Piano Parts and Their Functions, but didn't see it,
and I like to learn as many "official" parts names as possible.

This was a Kawai - Yamaha probably has a different name for it.

Anyone know?

John Formsma

P.S. If Jim Bryant and I had our way, it would be called a "thingee,"
but that doesn't look good on an invoice. <g>

Nomenclature police here. Let's see ----upper front panel latch? Upper
front panel catch? Upper front panel thingee? Yaaaa, that's the ticket!
	THINGEE!<G>
	Tom ---don't know what to call it--- Driscoll