aluminum plate

Wally Scherer afinetune@yahoo.com
Fri, 28 May 2004 13:15:36 -0700 (PDT)

Yesterday I tuned a Mehlin & Sons spinet. I was fascinated by the shiny aluminum looking plate, thinking it was just painted that way. Then I noticed the name Alcoa cast into the metal and knew that it was really aluminum. I asked the owner if it was lighter than other pianos and she said the movers had commented that it was very light weight.

I didn't notice any particular problems as a result of this being an aluminum plate, so wondered why the practice didn't continue. Anyone informed as to the history of the aluminum piano plate?

Wallace T. Scherer, Piano Technician, Music Educator
Piano Tuning & Repairs, Piano Lessons, Edwards String Covers
P.O. Box 4121, Lantana, Florida, 33465
Phone: 561-432-4121
Web page: http://www.angelfire.com/biz6/afinetune