aluminum plate

David M. Porritt dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Fri, 28 May 2004 16:10:17 -0500

Well, I remember WW2 but I was pretty young!  Cast iron was in=
 short supply because of the war effort and not many pianos were=
 even made during that time period.  However, some were made and=
 cast aluminum was used in a few.  As far as I know they were=
 successful, but aluminum is more expensive than cast iron so=
 when it became available production went back to iron.

At least that's what I've been told by guys old enough to=
 remember it!

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University
Dallas, TX 75275

From: Wally Scherer <afinetune@yahoo.com>
To: pt <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: aluminum plate

Yesterday I tuned a Mehlin & Sons spinet. I was fascinated by the=
 shiny aluminum looking plate, thinking it was just painted that=
 way. Then I noticed the name Alcoa cast into the metal and knew=
 that it was really aluminum. I asked the owner if it was lighter=
 than other pianos and she said the movers had commented that it=
 was very light weight.

I didn't notice any particular problems as a result of this being=
 an aluminum plate, so wondered why the practice didn't continue.=
 Anyone informed as to the history of the aluminum piano plate?

Wallace T. Scherer, Piano Technician, Music Educator
Piano Tuning & Repairs, Piano Lessons, Edwards String Covers
P.O. Box 4121, Lantana, Florida, 33465
Phone: 561-432-4121
Web page: http://www.angelfire.com/biz6/afinetune

Do you Yahoo!?