Tuning Devices for learning (was Tuning Devices)

Mark Davidson mark.davidson@mindspring.com
Fri, 28 May 2004 21:01:34 -0400

David Nereson wrote:
>I recommend learning to tune FIRST BY EAR
>ALONE, then consider an electronic tuning
>aid after you know what you're doing.
>Otherwise the chances of its becoming a
>crutch and your not developing your ear are
>far greater, in my opinion.

Well, I don't want to get into the argument about who is
a "real" tuner and who isn't, but I think ETDs are a
fantastic learning tool when used thoughtfully and judiciously.

I too am in the process of learning to tune, and I consider
the ETD to be an invaluable feedback tool.  Yes, I suppose
there could be a risk of coming to rely on it too much, but
it can help learning in many ways.

1. checking stability.  You can easily measure the effect of
test blows on notes you have tuned, or come back in a day
or week and check on them and quickly get an accurate
measure of the changes.  Very helpful while learning to
set pins.  When you come back the next day and everything
has dropped 2 cents and the humidity hasn't changed, then
you know you haven't got it yet :(

2. tuning to a fork.  Easily compare your fork to the string
after tuning it by ear to see how much error there is.

3. comparing pitches/partials.  After tuning two partials
together by ear, you can precisely measure the frequencies
to see how close you got them.  This kind of instant
feedback is very helpful for learning to tune unisons and
octaves, or other pure intervals.

4. checking accuracy of temperament.  Some ETDs
measure beats, but you can calculate these too from
the frequencies of the partials.

Other suggestions?

The key of course is that you use the ETD to check
your work AFTER doing it by ear. But frankly I
can't think of a better or quicker way to check
some of these things when starting out, and I find
the instant feedback very helpful.

If you have a PC (preferably laptop) then Tunelab 97 is
cheap and more than  adequate for all the above tasks.

The other real key is to find a good teacher...

-Mark Davidson

so umm, what is Proposition 12 anyway? or do I
have to learn the secret handshake first to find out...