Tuning Devices for learning (was Tuning Devices)

Joseph Freeman jfreeman7@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 28 May 2004 22:21:16 -0400

I agree with Mark AND David.  I'm a student, two months with a hammer,
and have just started using an ETD to test my practice.  The immediate,
non-subjective feedback was just what I need at this point.

I want to be a rock-solid aural tuner before I start tuning for pay with
an ETD.  But since I live out in the "boonies", it's it difficult to get
feedback.  (I have an RPT coaching me, but he's an hour away and I work
a full time "day" job.)

But being the "perfectionist" that I am, I wanted to know "now" how I'm
doing.

I do agree with David.  When I tried to "watch" my tuning, it made me
not listen as well.  I don't want to have that crutch.  So I don't keep
the ETD in view when I'm practicing.  But after I'm done with my
practice session, I check my work.  Then I check it the next day to see
if the pin held.  That way I have an idea if I'm setting the pin
correctly.

I'm sure David wasn't referring to using an ETD in this context when he
made his comments.  But I had to respond.

And, since this is my first "post" after lurking for awhile, I just want
to say that you guys are great teachers!

Joe Freeman
Florida Student
Future Associate Member (any day now)