Practical Concert Work

Sat, 29 May 2004 11:46:22 +0200

David Love wrote:

>The smoothest letoff will occur when the jack tender hits the letoff button
>at the same time that the drop screw hits the balancier.  The higher you
>set the letoff, therefore, the higher you must raise the drop screw and the
>less drop will occur.
>
>David Love
>davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

Ooooo.... ah.. I dont know if I quite agree with this David... tho I
certainly know the point you are making... Yamaha teaches this big time.

Personally tho.. I find that if the jack and drop screws are engaged
just a tad offset with each other.  Actually, if you make the
appropriate compensations in rep-lever height and jack rest position...
you can actually engage the jack first with fine results.  Mind you we
are talking about very very slight levels of fudge here :)

Point being tho that when both are engaged at the exact exact same
moment, then the finger feels the combined effect of both within that
short period of time letoff takes... where as if they are slightly
offset then only part of this starts letoff, and the other part ends it..

Cheers
RicB