Practical Concert Work

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Mon, 31 May 2004 10:25:14 -0700

>The smoothest letoff will occur when the jack tender hits the letoff button
>at the same time that the drop screw hits the balancier.

I think this will give the crispest or most precise letoff feel but
not the smoothest.  Having the jack and drop screw contact at
slightly different times I think will give a slightly smoother
letoff, although I think it will feel slightly mushier or less
precise.  Perhaps it's a matter of what you mean by smooth.

>The higher you
>set the letoff, therefore, the higher you must raise the drop screw and the
>less drop will occur.
>
>David Love
>davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

As long as the relative contact of the jack and the drop screw is the
same, then drop should be the same.  If you raise the jack contact
point (by raising the letoff button) and then raise the drop screw so
that the two are contacting at the same time as they were before, the
drop should be the same.  I think what the Kawai tech was talking
about was raising the drop screw contact so that it occurs after the
jack contact, which will result in less drop.

Phil Ford