Traveling shanks

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 29 May 2004 11:20:48 EDT

 List
  I just though I'd post a tech trick we've more recently employed.
   Recently Keith Roberts who works in the shop reminded me of a Spurlock
technique for traveling. It requires a flat stick like the ones that come in the
Renner shank boxes or something like it. With a square simply mark a multitude
of lines the length of the stick.
  Next with the action stack sitting on a flat clean surface we use a square
to travel the shanks on the end of each section so they're dead accurate. Then
clip the stick -o- lines to the end shanks with clothes pins. Now as you lift
up and down the shanks that travel are easily seen moving in reference to the
lines. It's a slick trick & easy to see especially for those of us with
bifocal.
   Prior to this we just used a square on each shank which made it tedious &
eye straining.
  Any residual traveling will show up as a minor movement after the hammers
are hung & can be easily corrected. You can also be sure that you didn't
successfully travel all the hammers going in the same direction i.e. left -right
  Happy traveling
    Dale

Erwins Pianos Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.