Springs

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Sat, 29 May 2004 12:14:55 -0300

Hi Rogerio,
If the spring has been distorted, so that you can't regulate by the =
screw.
I have had to remove the spring, manipulate the coil, and repin the =
spring in place.
I had to sort of unwind the spring, at the short end, so that the screw =
was then able to do the adjustment.
I was unable to effect the coil adjustment on the long arm of the =
spring.
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Rog=E9rio Cunha=20
  To: Pianotech Mensagem=20
  Sent: Saturday, May 29, 2004 11:05 AM
  Subject: Springs

  To the list

  Now I am living in Fortaleza and all the pianos here were worked by a =
"shoemaker" and not a piano technician. The problem is serious!
  I am just restoring a grand Bechstein with action Schwander. It is all =
out of order and now I need to solve the problem of the string of the =
wipen.
  The "shoemaker" tightened all the screws in order to try have =
repetition! The pressure of the spring is so hard that if you play a =
note with a soft blow, the hammer don't go back to be cached by the =
backchek !!! If your blow is a medium one, the backcheck catches the =
hammer but immediately the hammer goes up even the key is pressed.
  I need to know the better and more practical way do correct the =
pressure of all the springs.
  Thanks

  Rogerio Cunha
  ICMember of the Piano Technicians Guild