Practical Concert Work

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Sun, 30 May 2004 02:48:06 EDT

Dale Erwin writes:
"Every concert level tech I know likes as close a hammer let off as
feasible.possible."

If the final decision was "feasible," I agree, if "possible," not so much.

Dean May writes:
The Kawai Shigeru Master Tech said the diameter of the string is a good
guide for letoff. And he said nearly no drop.
Another "rule of thumb" I have heard is twice the diameter of the core. This
amounts to 1.5 mm tapering to 2 mm on the plain wire as you go down, and about
2.5 mm in the bass (safety factor to stay out of the way of the string's
greater excursion). This is unnecessarily long on many pianos, but one diameter is
unsafely short on others.

I don't worry too much about the actual letoff measurement. Too close and
it's unreliable, too far away and it's insensitive; but it's not the same piano
to piano. Each action seems to have a sweet spot where it works best, and in
addition it seems as if there's a small range within which you really CAN'T tell
the difference. For instance, maybe it works equally well between 1 and 1.5
mm, but inside 1 blubbers occasionally, and at 2 is beginning to feel
unreliable at pianissimo. Then it's a judgment call which end of the risk you want to
take, depending upon who's playing what, the condition of the regulating button
felt and especially the knuckles, and your knowledge of the instrument's
nature.

Further, whether you want to have the jack and the balancier "shelf" together
also depends upon the artist. You can make a difference in the feel (and
perception of controllability) by changing the timing. I have had them prefer the
balancier to hit a little earlier for a slightly spongier, more resistant
landing, and it's not hard to accommodate. Conversely, having the jack tender
touch slightly early makes for a softer feel, as the weight of the shank stays on
the balancier longer. Even though this requires longer letoff, some artists
find it more controllable at pp.

Bob Davis