Tuning Devices for learning (was Tuning Devices)

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Sun, 30 May 2004 10:24:00 EDT

List,

As a long time--incompletely trained for many of those years--aural tuner, I
have to kick in for the ETD as a learning device.

I have been able to get stable unisons for a long time, and my hammer
technique has been second nature for nigh on 25 years.  What I got from Tunelab
Pocket, in combination with more serious study--becoming self-employed vs. doing
strictly store tunings necessitated this--was verification that I was on the
right track.  Ron Koval's idea of using it to "look over your shoulder" is a good
one, IMHO.  In using that method, I have become a far better aural tuner than
I ever was without one.

I certainly agree with what most have said, the way the piano sounds is the
important thing, not how it looks on the screen.  Example:  I did some
inharmonicity measurements on an upright Kawai awhile back, and somehow the tuning
curve got screwed up.  I was doing a pitch raise on the piano, but I could tell
from the start that it was not right, even at A0:  that was an aural correction
of the machine, not hard to do when it's 75 cents sharp!  I corrected the
tuning curve in Tunelab, did my pitch raise, then tuned the piano by ear.  If I
had not been able to recognize this, I'm certain the piano would have sounded
miserable, and possibly broken strings.

A tuning device can be a great teacher for a novice, or for someone who
already has some degree of skill.  In conjuction with proper instruction, they work
well.

IMHO, pitch-raising is the one thing I find practically indespensable with an
ETD.  I've done it without, but it's a more lengthy process for me.

Dave Stahl