wire coming out of beckett

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Mon, 31 May 2004 16:03:58 -0500

>Previous to your post, I had always thought the extra bend, a real pain,
>when replacing a broken one.
>I had always hated the extra bend on the Baldwins.
>I also found that the extra bend resulted, in more of my blood being
>spilled.
>I will now reinvestigate my previous assumptions.
>When I replace a string, I always indicate on my bill, which string was
>replaced. It is a carry-over from the days when I used to repair electronic
>organs, if a note went after my repair, it was 'always', the one I had just
>repaired, that went again. So I had to be able to prove it wasn't.
>On a piano, it is not as bad, because, you have new/shiny, versus old/not
>shiny, in most cases.
>
>John M. Ross

Hi John,
I so very rarely have to replace a broken string with that extra bend that
it hasn't been a real problem. I've also had pianos with nice shiny strings
and breakage problems (foot-handed pianist), where it was difficult to tell
new wire from old. Not often, but it happens. This may not be a perfect
technical approach to string replacement for everyone, but I find it quite
workable, and a lot more sociologically manageable for myself.

Ron N