VERDIGRIS IS COPPER CORROSION

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Sun, 31 Jul 2005 21:55:09 -0400

Hi Susan,

> Sarah, is bamboo acidic like wood and paper? (I would imagine so.) Could
it
> be neutralized somehow?

Anything cellular is acidic inside.  Cells have organelles called lysosomes
that are full of corrosive acids and enzymes.  They rupture when a cell dies
and digest the cell from the inside out.  It's an organism's way of cleaning
house.  For a woody product to be neutralized, the cell structure would have
to be torn completely apart and the pulp buffered.  That's a process that
obviously wouldn't apply to bamboo.

What I was actually thinking was that bamboo shanks could be cemented into
some sort of synthetic action part, consisting of the flange, the base of
the shank, and the knuckle.  Yes, I know that presents other problems (or
not), but it might be a more intelligent use of materials.  Dunno...  Seems
worth a try.  ;-)

Peace,
Sarah