Pierce Piano Atlas--- Knabe 9-footer dating questions ?????

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Sun, 31 Jul 2005 20:43:08 -0700

At 06:39 PM 7/31/2005 -0700, you wrote:
>I yoosta have a Knabe 9' Ampico that was
>( allegedly ) J.D. Rockefellar's. The only number I
>found was inside the keyslip. Was that it ? Who has
>reliable serial nuber/dating info for these things ?
>      Thump

The 1901 not-quite-9-footer (maybe two or three inches short)
which I tuned for years, and now sort of miss, had the serial number on the
soundboard,
on a little painted stencil visible through the treble strings around the
first capo
section area. Paul Monachino told me that some of the 9-foot Knabes from
back then were made by A.B. Chase, but this one was apparently a real
Knabe made in Baltimore. Paul said he had the serial # records, so you
could give
him a ring. Maybe he could tell you something. I think I may have a photo of
the serial number someplace, but my scanner is on the blink -- might take
me awhile
to find the photo, as well.

Susan Kline