Bluthner Tuning

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 1 Aug 2005 14:27:32 -0400

Re: Bluthner TuningI had someone reply to me privately on this subject. =
He suggested something that no one else had mentioned.

"...there are two sections with the extra string. in the lower section =
you tune the fourth string an octave higher than the notes to which they =
correspond and in the upper section you tune the extra strings in unison =
to the strings below."

This information reportedly came from a Bluthner dealer. I'd sure hate =
to be wrong and start breaking strings. Anyone else ever hear of this? =
Is there any possibility that there were different scales that were =
tuned differently?

Terry Farrell

  I just booked a first-time tuning for a Bluthner grand (first time for =
me to tune it). It is said to be about 55 years old. Is this piano =
likely to have the 4th string aliquot system up in the high treble? If =
so, is there any special tuning techniques for it? I've never tuned one =
of these. Just pluck it and tune it beatless with the other three =
strings of each note?

  Terry Farrell