Bridge Disaster- - Should be Bridge From Hell!!

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Tue, 02 Aug 2005 13:24:48 -0500

> As Ric B pointed out, the strings are lifting well off the bridge cap -
> clearly the bridge cap is too low (I hadn't noticed that originally).

Not clearly any such thing. Note the wood split out between bridge
pins in the top photo. The split out pieces are wedged above the
bridge top, courtesy of the pin angle, and lifting the strings with
them. I've seen a bunch of bass bridges do this very thing through
the years.

> Probably not going to get around putting a new cap on it. If it weren't
> for that, I agree, oodles of great things can be done with epoxy!

Since the cap likely isn't all that low (or if it is, the
soundboard's trashed anyway), epoxy could probably fix it. But that
wouldn't do anything for the offset angle. If it was a field repair
in the piano, I'd probably epoxy it. since it would take another
trip (or two, since I don't carry a tilter), it would cost nearly
what recapping would  anyway. The bridge is already out of the
piano, so tooling isn't a problem for recapping. It's a matter of
whether you want to spend a couple of bucks and an hour and a half
making a new cap, or epoxying the old one and cleaning up afterward.

Ron N