Flange Bushing Glue Drying Time

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 3 Aug 2005 16:17:04 -0400

Hi Joe - Now I'm the first one to admit that I am not an action center =
wizard. But I thought conventional wisdom dictated that a freshly bushed =
flange should have its bushing sized with a center pin, i.e., insert pin =
while wet and let dry. I think the theory is that compressing the =
bushing cloth fibers makes for a more stable bushing.

Does anyone else do it this way? Do you get stable, long-lasting =
results?

If you dry quickly and then ream, do you not risk having a too-soft =
bushing that will rapidly loosen its fit on the pin? Especially in this =
case where the up-and-down pulling of the damper wire has loosened the =
original bushing.

And Don - Thanks for the input. Your recommendations are more along the =
line of what I thought was the best way to go - although I suspect I =
will pass on the clothes dryer or the toaster oven....... ;-)   You =
reaffirmed my suspicion that I really want to let them dry overnight to =
be sure I have a good stable bushing.

Terry Farrell

  Hi Terry,
  If you  wet;  then dry with a hair blower or Unger gun; then size with =
the correct reamers; one minute per flange or so.
  Joe Goss RPT
  Mother Goose Tools
  imatunr@srvinet.com
  www.mothergoosetools.com

  Most factories use air drying tumblers (or something similar) to dry =
the parts faster.  They use mildly warm air for 1 or 2 hours, if I am =
remembering correctly.

  You could possibly put them in a cloth bag and tumble - dry them in =
your clothes drier with a low heat setting.  If possible, run them for =
an hour or two, take them out and put a sizing pin in, soak with 50/50 =
alcohol/water, dry them again the same time with the low heat, then let =
them sit over night to settle at the ambient conditions.  This should =
give you really stable, well fit centers.

  I have always used a toaster oven to warm them at 120 - 150 degrees or =
so for about 1/2 hour, then let them sit out as long as possible before =
burnishing and pinning.  You are correct that this could lead to big =
changes later, so for critical centers like hammer centers I have always =
tried to let them sit for at least a day before final pinning.

  Don Mannino RPT

    How long does it take for a pre-glued Renner flange bushing with =
sizing pin to dry to the point where one can be sure that bushing =
size/pin fit will be stable?

    Any knowledgeable opinions?

    I'm trying to rush a piano teacher's damper lever repair job so she =
doesn't have to cancel lessons.

    Anyone ever see that where the damper block (the thing the damper =
wire is secured in) bushings compress to the point were the center pin =
has a lot of play in the bushing? This is a 1950 or so Baldwin L grand.

    Thanks.

    Terry Farrell