Soundboard finishing material - what and why?

V T pianovt@yahoo.com
Wed, 3 Aug 2005 14:06:26 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Terry,

>Nothing got it where? The epoxy didn't penetrate into
> the wood? For what duration was the epoxy "light
>'highly' penetrating"?

I was replenishing it on the surface for about 4
hours.  It was evaporating instead of going into the
wood.  If I had submerged it in, the end grain would
have soaked it up.

> What kind of wood?
> Terry Farrell

I found the lightest, most porous soft wood I could
get my hands on.  I think it's pine.  You can see from
the attached picture how porous it is.

> How did you determine epoxy penetration?

After it dried, I cut it and looked.  There is no
visible penetration.  Even with a magnifier, it's hard
to make a case that it got in any further than the
very few top layers of cells that were cut when the
lumber was milled.

I hope the picture gets posted, there was some
announcement about posting pictures on the ptg site,
which I am too busy to do now.  If it doesn't get
posted, I will e-mail you the picture.

Vladan

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...