howard spinet

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Wed, 3 Aug 2005 19:54:34 -0600

Hi Richard,
The biggest problem for me is getting the action back in without =
breaking something in the steel brace that supports the platform. Unless =
I have someone down below to guide the action feet to either the screw =
holes or more likely action foot bolt, I will remove the brace or loosen =
it so that there will be no problem.=20
Being of long arms I use nothing to remove an action. To do this one =
must remove ALL keys and case parts that the action might catch on. I =
discovered a trick if you will while working on a spinet trying to =
develope a tool. After taking the action in and out about 20 times for =
measurments I said to myself,
"This is silly, the guys in the manufacturing of this instrument must =
have had an easier way".
And realizing that the case parts would not have been installed as yet =
in the manufacture process, I pulled the action up and rolled it towards =
me  (hammers comming at me stickers pointing down. Yes the stickers =
wanted to catch slightly on the balance rail pins, but gently lifting =
and continuing to roll the action towards me freed the stickers. Once =
free of the balance rail pins I was able to cary the action to the =
kitchen table and set the action upright.
Putting the action back in the piano is just as easy. but one must be =
quick. With the stickers on top of the action and the hammers facing =
down I slowly place the action as close to the hole as possible. Roll =
the action back so that just when the stickers start to fall, quickly in =
it goes. Not for the faint of heart but easy and safe except for that =
brace on Baldwins. When the action goes in the stickers will be on the =
edge of the key bed and pop up out of the balance rail pins. If one =
feels that one is too tight and binding all you need to do is reverse =
roll and start over with the stickers on top. I have never had to try =
three times or broken a part. But almost on that BRACE.
One other thing my grab point in removing the action is an end bracket =
and reat rail and a middle bracket and rest rail
Joe Goss RPT
Mother Goose Tools
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com