Soundboard finishing, etc.

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Wed, 3 Aug 2005 22:00:46 EDT

In a message dated 8/3/2005 2:44:07 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
joegarrett@earthlink.net writes:

My reasoning, for this system, is that I want a THIN Flexible finish  that
will be easy to clean and will endure. I have seen boards with TOO Thick  a
finish, which, IMO, tended to "choke" the tone, if not completely Deaden it,  as
in one case of Polyester!!!Yikes!!!
As for "Sealing" for better "stability", I don't think that is possible  and
is not the major concern. TONE is THE major concern, IMHO. There are those
who like to put multiple coats of Lacquer on their boards. I have found that I
don't like the tone, compared to what I get out of my system.<G> And  then
there are the "purists" that will only use Shellac. To them I say what  ever
flips your Kilt up, but it is not a enduring as Varnish. The secondary  concern is
to protect the wood from contaminants and to LOOK nice. The Varnish  gives
Spruce a beautiful light golden glow, that makes me all warm and  fuzzy!<G>
Finally, Do Not, Under Any Circumstances Strip the Board!!!!!!!!
(Scraping/Sanding only please.) Stripping tends to drive the olde  finish/contaminants
into the wood pores! I further think that that sort of  extremely caustic stuff,
deteriorates the wood itself! Just my  opinion/experience.
Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool  Police
Squares R I