Soundboard finishing, etc.

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Wed, 3 Aug 2005 22:25:41 EDT

Oh....... Good , I always like to argue with you  Joe
  I think the thin flexible idea is ... well ....all wet  Joe. If it isn't
then I guess all Kawai's & Yamahas sound bad cause they  have probably 10 mils
of poly urethane over them or at least the ones I've  stripped have. I
personally think with some of them it's not the thickness of  the finish but  too
thick of a board and boards  with without the  edges thinned or just too thick
aboard. That'll make a piano stingy  alright. JMO
  As for using Varnish, it's a lovely finish if your not  making a living
but the wait time I'd go broke.  Now lacquer is a  fine product & well ....I
guess my boards will sound even better if I quit  using it. hmmmm? Not
  Frankly I see little wrong with stripping a board  that's half dead & flat
anyway & the truth is if its' done right the  stripper isn't on there very
long & good quick acetone cleanup evaporates  quickly.  A good sanding cleans up
most other residues &   stains.
    Then you can do it really right with a good  sealer coat of good shellac
(which I known you have)Shellac which  penetrates & gives a nice case
hardening of the wood & then  procede with Varnish if you have lots of time to kill.
grin. Or spray on the  right Nitro cellulose over the shellac. It can be built
up in two days max &  rubbed or polished . Either way varnich or lacquer takes
time to cure  really hard & when it does both have fine acoustic properties
    IMH O All this is really subjective &  fun
  Dale Erwin

My reasoning, for this system, is that I want a THIN Flexible finish  that
will be easy to clean and will endure. I have seen boards with TOO Thick  a
finish, which, IMO, tended to "choke" the tone, if not completely Deaden it,  as
in one case of Polyester!!!Yikes!!!
As for "Sealing" for better "stability", I don't think that is possible  and
is not the major concern. TONE is THE major concern, IMHO. There are those
who like to put multiple coats of Lacquer on their boards. I have found that I
don't like the tone, compared to what I get out of my system.<G> And  then
there are the "purists" that will only use Shellac. To them I say what  ever
flips your Kilt up, but it is not a enduring as Varnish. The secondary  concern is
to protect the wood from contaminants and to LOOK nice. The Varnish  gives
Spruce a beautiful light golden glow, that makes me all warm and  fuzzy!<G>
Finally, Do Not, Under Any Circumstances Strip the Board!!!!!!!!
(Scraping/Sanding only please.) Stripping tends to drive the olde  finish/contaminants
into the wood pores! I further think that that sort of  extremely caustic stuff,
deteriorates the wood itself! Just my  opinion/experience.
Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool  Police
Squares R I

Erwins Pianos  Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.
Modesto, Ca 95357
209-577-8397
Rebuilt  Steinway , Mason &Hamlin  Sales
www.Erwinspiano.com