Restringing the Middle section of Michael G's S&S 'A'

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Thu, 04 Aug 2005 11:49:15 -0700

At 07:00 PM 8/4/2005 +0100, you wrote:
>My string maker, Gregor Heller, advises me to "get those bass strings on
>pdq. In manufactur they are under tension and increase their lenght by
>8mm. Left un tensioned for any length of time results in poor tonal quality.

Does anyone else corroborate this? In school, I put a set of bass strings
on Ted Sambell's Pleyel grand. Ted had wound the strings a number of years
earlier, preparing for the rebuild he hadn't had time to get into. They
sounded just fine.

Susan