Restringing the Middle section of Michael G's S&S 'A'

Fri, 5 Aug 2005 08:04:55 +0100

Hello Susan and List. Gregor phoned me from Germany simply to ask =
whether I had put his strings on yet - and that '8mm stretching' =
business was his reason for phoning. He said (inter alia) one of his =
clients had kept a set of strings for two years and then phoned with a =
complaint of loss of tone. So I'm hurrying things along. I have only =
today to complete the restringing and am down to 39 notes left (A3) =
They're all slack as yet, of course! S&S have this large gap in their =
stringing table - it goes in half-steps to guage 16 1/2  then suddenly =
there's a whole load of guage 17. Any reason, anyone, why I shouldn't =
insert a guage     17 1/2 in there at note 39 and continue to the =
specified change to 18 at note 35?
>From a pelting down cool Sussex Downs. Glad to be going to Verona =
tomorrow!
Michael G.(UK)=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Susan Kline=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Thursday, August 04, 2005 7:49 PM
  Subject: re: Restringing the Middle section of Michael G's S&S 'A'

  At 07:00 PM 8/4/2005 +0100, you wrote:

    My string maker, Gregor Heller, advises me to "get those bass =
strings on pdq. In manufactur they are under tension and increase their =
lenght by 8mm. Left un tensioned for any length of time results in poor =
tonal quality.

  Does anyone else corroborate this? In school, I put a set of bass =
strings on Ted Sambell's Pleyel grand. Ted had wound the strings a =
number of years earlier, preparing for the rebuild he hadn't had time to =
get into. They sounded just fine.=20

  Susan