Damper Thump Noise

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 4 Aug 2005 14:54:22 EDT

In a message dated 8/4/2005 2:44:16 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:
   Terry
   This is common to Stwys & I don't think  Baldwins & others  are much
different.   The damper  underlever center pin  & the tray pivot pin are not in
line or at least  too far from each other  & creates more weight at the front of
the  tray  due to the weight of  tray,springs  & levers combined .  So thump
thump baby!
  . Also I've heard fine musicians with the most  deplorable pedal technique
create an almost slap slap slap sound instead of the  thump. When I modify the
tray pivot  so it is in line with the under  lever center pin the weight &
subsequent thump are reduced. The  tray & underlever weight are more balanced as
the tray pivot/fulcrum has  moved forwards(towards the keyboard)  & the
thumping is reduced to  normal / acceptable levels.
  The dampers age & compaction is also a huge factor  as every one else has
said. ta thump!
  Dale

1950-ish Baldwin L grand, all original. Raise  dampers with pedal and then
release pedal. Dampers make quite an audible  thump. Remove action and manually
lift a dozen or so dampers and you get a  similar thump - it is especially
prominent with the bicords - very little  noise from the flat dampers.

Is this nothing more than the sound that 55  year-old grand dampers make?
That is my strong suspicion.

Terry  Farrell