howard spinet

richard.ucci@att.net richard.ucci@att.net
Thu, 04 Aug 2005 23:57:26 +0000

I like the sound of that much better than removing the action.

-------------- Original message from "Alan Barnard" <tune4u@earthlink.net>: --------------

Dunno about removing that particular action (pictures?) but ...

Have you tried repairing them without removing the action? Tilt the piano (unless you are tiny and can sit with your legs crossed for an hour), use parallel pliers to wiggle the flange loose, apply Titebond or other wood glue with a hypo or a syringe bottle and reassemble.

I've done this on uprights with the pianos on their feet, but only for one or two flanges when time was short. But I think it would work as I have described. All that will be in your way are the stickers, backchecks and bridle wires!

Heck, surgeons do this stuff all the time--with the heart beating! Maybe we should learn to perform piano surgery while someone is practicing Chopin etudes, just so the doctors can't show us up. <G>

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 08/03/2005 8:06:23 PM
Subject: howard spinet

Hi Guys,
Came across a baldwin howard spinet with jack flanges that are comming unglued. I want to pull the action, but it was designed in a way I have yet to see.
Bolted to the plate-no struts, and these long flat metal pieces that are screwed into the wooden platform under the action.
Anything I should be aware of other than the usual stuff? Also , will the pianotek sticker holder work on this model?
Thanks,
RU/UP