learner with some questions

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Fri, 05 Aug 2005 17:20:24 -0700

<<Also, is there some kind of consensus as to how many pianos a person has
to tune before they are ready for the real world? >>

About 1,000 on average.

Terry Peterson

&lt;eralna240@yahoo.com&gt;<br>Reply-To: Pianotech
&lt;pianotech@ptg.org&gt;<br>To: pianotech@ptg.org<br>Subject: learner with
some questions<br>Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 05:42:57 -0700
tuning and some of the &quot;fixing&quot; that goes along with it.  I have
the Randy Potter video course and also have software for palm pilot which I
think has helped me to quicken the learning process.<br><br>I am wondering
if you have suggestions as to how to find someone who might want to mentor
me.  I would expect that I could be somewhat of a nuisance as I would no
doubt have lots of questions and would want to do some hands on
work.<br><br>As techs, do you feel that it would seem inappropriate to hire
someone to regulate my piano and then ask to observe the process?  It does
need some work and I'm a bit hesitant to just dive in for fear that I might
do something to the piano I'd regret.  I have certainly tuned it numerous
times and fiddled here and there with it .   I did break a string which also
needs to be replaced and would like to observe that as well.<br><br>I'd
really like to learn but wonder if other tuners would perceive me as a pain
in the rear  or potential competition  that they'd rather do
without.<br><br>Also, is there some kind of consensus as to how many pianos
a person has to tune before they are ready for the real world?  How does one
know when the time is right to start charging rather than tuning for friends
as practice?  Does a newbie tell the customer that they're new and charge
less than a well seasoned tech?<br><br>Any way, just hoping someone here
might have some insight.<br><br>Thanks,
Stay connected, organized, and protected. Take the tour<br>