learner with some questions

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe@sbcglobal.net
Fri, 05 Aug 2005 16:21:17 -0500

Nancy,
Check out the www.ptg.org website and find the closest RPT to
you.  They may have or may know someone who has time to work with
you.  A rebuilder usually can use a hand about the shop
occasionally.  What really goes a long way is to join the active PTG
chapter nearest you.  Then attend regional conferences and when you
can, the national.
As for working on your own piano: dive in.  As long as it isn't
destructive, plan on being able to reverse whatever you do.  Nothing
like fiddling around with an action and a book in one hand.  You
really get to understand it, sometimes you improve things too.
Ready for the real world in tuning...how about being able to
confidently tune 8 cents or less and get done in under two
hours.  You can flat fee your tunings too, but people start looking
at their watches.  I do tell them that a pitch correction takes more
time and costs more (of course then they tell me, "We just want the
regular tuning please"). ;-)

Andrew