damper pedal problem

Maggie Jusiel mags@magsmusic.net
Sat, 6 Aug 2005 14:02:43 +1200 (NZST)

Hello All,

  A couple of weeks ago, I tuned a Yamaha baby grand that's about 5 years
old.  I didn't notice any obvious problems.  Today, they asked me to
check a problem that has supposedly never happend before.  When the
damper pedal is pushed, the action slides over so far that the hammers
catch a string from the next set.  I honestly didn't know why this was
happening "all of the sudden", so I simply put in a piece of felt as a
spacer/stopper until I learned something better to do.  It worked fine,
but I'd sure like to know what happened in the first place.  BTW, the
hammers appear to be aligned properly...?

Any thoughts?
mags

Maggie Jusiel
Piano Tuner