Difficulty Hearing Beats While Setting Temperament

Robert Finley rfinley@rcn.com
Sat, 6 Aug 2005 17:42:59 -0400

I have been trying to set the temperament on my piano and am having =
trouble hearing the correct beat rates of the intervals. The problem is =
that the beats are so weak they are hardly perceptible. I have strip =
muted the piano and was able to tune A49 on the piano to the A440 tuning =
fork by comparing the beat rate of the note and the fork with F21. I am =
now trying to tune the other notes within the temperament octave and get =
the beat rates of the F-A, A-C#, C#-F and F-A to gradually increase from =
7 bps to 14 bps, but they are very difficult to hear. What can be done =
to hear the beats more clearly? I have been studying tuning for several =
months now, but the beats of the intervals are still difficult to hear. =
I don't have much trouble with unisons as I can hear the beats more =
distinctly, and the improvement in the quality of the note when I reach =
the pure state is very noticeable.=20

I have an SAT III tuning device that enables me to tune the piano very =
well, and to check my aural tuning, but I want to be able to tune the =
piano completely by ear so that I can eventually pass the PTG =
examinations. Thank you for your help.=20

Robert Finley