Difficulty Hearing Beats While Setting Temperament

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Sat, 06 Aug 2005 20:58:27 -0700

Hello, Robert

You don't say what kind of piano.

Two things you can try: (1) move your head around. Sometimes a beat can be
heard clearly in one place, but another place nearby it is almost
indistinguishable.

(2) In case you're tuning a console -- check to be sure that the dampers
are completely clearing the strings in the tenor. Sometimes split wedge
felt goes too far past the strings, and drags on the middle string even
when the key is all the way down.

Otherwise -- practice, practice.

Susan Kline