Knabe Action Parts

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 9 Aug 2005 17:02:42 -0700

Terry "Farrell" said: "I starting to dig into an action from an 1890s 6' =
4" Knabe. Trying to =3D
choose replacement parts. Original geometry is okay - could use a few =
=3D
tweaks. It seems Renner does not carry an exact match for the original =
=3D
wippen. Their universal wip seems to work best. However, the flange is =
=3D
shorter and causes the action spread to increase from the original 112.5 =
=3D
to 115.5. However, I think I can just slide the wip rail back a few =3D
millimeters to correct that.

Below is a picture of the original at letoff. You can see that the jack =
=3D
has lots of clearance between the knuckle and the felt at the back of =
=3D
the jack slot.

Below is a picture of the action with new parts. Here you can see that =
=3D
the jack is touching the back felt and at the same time it is still =3D
touching the knuckle. But if the whole wip moves back a few millimeters, =
=3D
seems to me all will be fine. I would use a different wip heel to line =
=3D
up better with the capstan - it seems this would work fine. The new =3D
parts seem to regulate out just fine.

Or is anyone aware of better matching replacement parts? Thanks.

Terry,
Either the photos are out of sync with each other or my eye is off, =
today. It looks to me that the knuckle is just a tad larger than the =
original. AND, it looks like the flange center to knuckle molding center =
is shorter on the new one. If that is the case then, the new shanks =
won't work unless you move the knuckle out about 1mm - 1.5mm. That's =
what it appears to me to be the case.
Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police