newbie questions

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Thu, 11 Aug 2005 14:06:29 -0300

Think earplugs.
ASPT, it will get you started, it started me.
However, it is apparently, a course that is not the best. The course however, might have been updated, and corrected.
I learned the proper way to do things, by joining the PTG, and attending conventions.
This is a job, where you are always learning.
It is hard to unlearn, improper teachings.
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: John Delmore
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2005 1:50 PM
  Subject: newbie questions

  Hi all:

  First post, hope I'm doing it right!

  I've recently embarked on tuning/tech for a couple of reasons:  1) possible second career (don't want to cut into anyone's business, but all the tuners around here seem to be, shall we say, "advanced"), and 2) someone gave me an old Cable Euphona-maybe I can get her going in 15 or 20 years!

  Anyway, as all newbies, I have a "couple" of questions.  First, I'm learning through the American School of Piano Tuning's correspondence course.  Also wearing out the Reblitz.  Is there any consensus on "fourths and fifths" vs "sixths and thirds"?  Pro's and Con's?

  Second, I have slight tinnitus-it's always seemed to make me extra-sensitive to any instrument that's out of tune (pretty bad for an Episcopalian bass who usually gets seated right in front of the ORGAN PIPES!).  I was in band all through school, played guitar for years, piano for about thirty years, so I have tuned a thing or two.  Other people will say something is in tune, but it grates on my nerves!  Any other tuners out there afflicted (blessed?) with this?

  Thank ahead for any input!

  John Delmore