newbie questions

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Thu, 11 Aug 2005 22:00:34 -0500

Jumping back in ...

The 5th beats at 3:2 and this is the interval that must be "clean". It also has a beat at the 4:6 which is more prominent on some pianos than others. Tuning at the 4:6 will make the 5th too wide due to the increased inharmonicity of the higher partials.

It's easy for "newbies" to be confused by the 4:6 beat and place the upper note too sharp (or lower note too flat). This is another good reason for not trying to use the 5th as a primary tuning interval, n'est pas?

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

----- Original Message -----
From: Joseph Alkana
To: Pianotech
Sent: 08/11/2005 9:45:36 PM
Subject: Re: newbie questions

AF,
Considering the spread of a fifth, it would seem to me that there would be opportunity for higher partials to be all over the place with the inharmonicity differences in wire. I.e., a plain wire and wound wire. By my ears, the beats of the higher partials are no where near double sometimes, but I haven't really got into it yet. I still don't see how you use that beat speed to put the wire being tuned into your tuning pattern. More info, please.

Joseph Alkana RPT