Warped/Twisted Keys

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Sat, 13 Aug 2005 09:31:42 -0500

> I'm working on a Baldwin Hamilton which has some badly twisted keys.
> There are a couple of posts
> in the archives that mention straightening by cutting kerfs in the keys
> and shimming, but not enough detail to give me a clear picture of the
> procedure.  Any advice much appreciated.
>
> Sid Blum

Hi Sid,

This is what I do. Cutting a long diagonal kerf most of the way
through the key, usually from the bottom, glue and either clamp or
shim to rotate the key in the direction you want. Where and in what
direction you saw the kerf(s) depends on where and how severe the
warps are, how much key width you have to work with, and whether you
intend to shim or clamp. It's pretty straightforward, but takes some
conceptual orientation before you start sawing. Titebond, naturally,
to glue.

Ron N

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: straighten key.jpg