Warped/Twisted Keys....

MICHAEL MORVAN keymaestro@verizon.net
Sat, 13 Aug 2005 11:28:52 -0400

List,
    A word of caution on steaming/heating a warped key back into shape. =
I have found out the hard way that steaming/heating a warped key in most =
cases will return the key to it's original form, but after a few days it =
starts to twist right back to where it was warped originally. Some wood =
just has a predisposition to be warped and the only way to deal with it =
is to cut, shim and trim. Take into consideration that the keytop will =
have to be replaced and the mortise also. A clear oversight of side to =
side spacing should also be in mind. This key Sid is repairing is most =
likely made of basswood which twists terribly compared to the good keys =
made of sugar pine and spruce.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Joe Garrett=20
  To: pianotech=20
  Sent: Saturday, August 13, 2005 11:13 AM
  Subject: Re: Warped/Twisted Keys....

  Sid Blum asked: "I'm working on a Baldwin Hamilton which has some =
badly twisted keys.=20
  There are a couple of posts
  in the archives that mention straightening by cutting kerfs in the=20
  keys and shimming, but not enough detail to give me a clear picture=20
  of the procedure.  Any advice much appreciated.

  Sid,
  The methods, I have employed, were either/and wetting and putting a =
reverse warp to straighten or steam. It's fairly easy to make a small =
steam box. The down side to steam is that it's difficult not to unglue =
something that you want to stay stuck.<G>
  Regards,=20
  Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
  Captain, Tool Police
  Squares R I