string termination

Geoff Sykes ivories.52@earthlink.net
Sat, 13 Aug 2005 20:40:34 -0700

You've discovered nodes. And as I think about them, and how they relate to
the fundamental, or first partial, I'm wondering if given the point at which
the hammer actually strikes the string, (a point selected to create the
highest number of partials actually related to the fundamental), if the
fundamental is actually the loudest frequency we are hearing. Obviously it
is, but in theory I would think that the further away you get from the
center of the string, the weaker that fundamental "should" be. But maybe
that only applies to plucking, (creating the phenomena Joe describes on his
bass), and not striking. Just curious.

Geoff Sykes
Assoc. Los Angeles

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Joe And Penny Goss
Sent: Saturday, August 13, 2005 5:42 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: string termination

Well Carl,
If you wants common cents <G>
When I's plucks my bass pulling the string in a up motion on my bass I gets
a ping sound. If it is pulled to the side, more of a deep full bassey sound.
But that is probibly not the kind of answer you are after. Also the same
kind of results of a sort if the string is excited near the bridge, a thin
sound. And away from the bridge a deeper fuller sound. Your search may raise
more questions for you. Hope you can find your answer. Joe Goss RPT Mother
Goose Tools imatunr@srvinet.com www.mothergoosetools.com