string termination

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Sun, 14 Aug 2005 23:01:45 +1000

Terry,

>Ron - a typo? Do you mean the new plating thickness will be 0.075 mm (3 thou)?

Yes that was a typo. The plating thickness is 0.075 mm, or 3 thou. A
zero went missing in haste.

>  Why then not make a agraffe out of steel or some other harder material?

I made a custom set of agraffes for a Steinway D we rebuilt for the
ABC in 1998. I made them from SAE 1040 steel, which is considerably
harder than free machining brass. We plated the 1040 agraffes with 2
thou of electroless nickel (and hardened the nickel plating to 60
Rockwell). These agraffes were without doubt the cleanest sounding
set of agraffes we've ever done. I haven't made any others since
then. Can you imagine how much effort it is to turn and machine up a
set of these things using a screw cutting lathe and a milling
attachment?

>  That may be difficult for the one-off small-shop piano builder, but
>if there were a demand to others..... Why would this be so difficult?

The cost in machining agraffes from something harder would probably
make manufacturers shy away from using the harder material. Mind you,
with today's ceramic cutting tools the task would be more do-able
than it was.

>  Why would brass persist so long?

It should be bypassed for the purpose of string terminations. Its a
very poor material for the purpose.

>  \Why not use other termination types like a capo-type bar in all
>string sections like you see on cheap old American microgrands? What
>about something more like an upright pressure bar arrangement?

These would certainly work, but it would give the high enders a bit
of an agricultural look wouldn't it? And after all, the piano
business is as much about perceived fashion than practically. I just
can't see the higher enders taking up full compass capo bars any time
soon. Mind you, Stuart has done just that with a full set of agraffes
mounted in the underside of the bar. Its is a workable solution.

>Hardened bridge pins would be costly? I can see such an argument
>from a Chinese manufacturer, but from a famous American or European
>manufacturer who "spares no expense to create an uncompromised
>instrument?"

That's just the thing Terry, the high enders claim that they don't
spare expense (the brochures tend to be full of cheap sales chat),
but its all over the instrument. They would be seem to be pretty
careful not to get into anything too difficult (which would put the
price of production up).

>  I realize that if a pin costs a nickel or dime rather than two
>cents, times 500 pins, that would increase the cost of building the
>piano by $15 - $40....... or am I missing something? Or are the
>upper-end larger, uncompromising, manufacturers really that cheap?

I suspect they just might be. But then again, the high enders who
remain are the ones who have actually survived the slings and arrows
of economic fortune. Its easy for us to criticise what we perceive to
be cost cutting, but those who didn't do it haven't survived.

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
    Grand Piano Manufacturers