string termination

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 14 Aug 2005 18:01:04 -0400

Re: string terminationWhy not use other termination types like a =
capo-type bar in all string sections like you see on cheap old American =
microgrands? What about something more like an upright pressure bar =
arrangement?

These would certainly work, but it would give the high enders a bit of =
an agricultural look wouldn't it? And after all, the piano business is =
as much about perceived fashion than practically. I just can't see the =
higher enders taking up full compass capo bars any time soon.=20

Yeah, but the small shop can do as they please - especially if they are =
building their own plate. Ron N has got me wondering about some major, =
but not too difficult to do, modifications to existing plates in the =
tenor and bass sections.

Mind you, Stuart has done just that with a full set of agraffes mounted =
in the underside of the bar. Its is a workable solution.

Or what material are the Stuart agraffes made? Brass? Same problem? Is =
he using these in the tenor and bass?