string termination

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Sun, 14 Aug 2005 10:54:06 -0500

> Why then not make a agraffe out of steel or some other harder material?
> That may be difficult for the one-off small-shop piano builder, but if
> there were a demand to others..... Why would this be so difficult? Why
> would brass persist so long?

Cost? Ease of machining?

> Why not use other termination types like a capo-type bar in all string
> sections like you see on cheap old American microgrands? What about
> something more like an upright pressure bar arrangement?

Actually, it looks to me to be quite possible to retrofit an
agraffed piano with a termination bar of harder material than the
brass agraffe, along the agraffe line, with a pressure bar behind,
screwed into the plate. A cast stepped bar would be ideal for
matching speaking lengths within the unison, but I'm curious how
well a curved bar would work. Just how critical are slightly
mismatched speaking lengths within unisons at those string lengths?
I'd guess there is some tolerance.

Ron N