string termination

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Sun, 14 Aug 2005 09:28:03 -0700

Seems like I have agraffes that have a metal rod insert.  A hole is drilled
through the agraffe such that when the metal rod is inserted it is only
slightly exposed at the top of each hole.  That puts the string termination
in contact with the hardened metal rod rather than the brass.

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Ron Nossaman
Sent: Sunday, August 14, 2005 8:54 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: string termination

> Why then not make a agraffe out of steel or some other harder material?
> That may be difficult for the one-off small-shop piano builder, but if
> there were a demand to others..... Why would this be so difficult? Why
> would brass persist so long?

Cost? Ease of machining?

> Why not use other termination types like a capo-type bar in all string
> sections like you see on cheap old American microgrands? What about
> something more like an upright pressure bar arrangement?

Actually, it looks to me to be quite possible to retrofit an
agraffed piano with a termination bar of harder material than the
brass agraffe, along the agraffe line, with a pressure bar behind,
screwed into the plate. A cast stepped bar would be ideal for
matching speaking lengths within the unison, but I'm curious how
well a curved bar would work. Just how critical are slightly
mismatched speaking lengths within unisons at those string lengths?
I'd guess there is some tolerance.

Ron N