Kawai RX2 specs

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Sun, 14 Aug 2005 15:46:56 EDT

In a message dated 8/14/05 11:55:17 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
jonpage@comcast.net writes:

My first  encounter with this new-ish model was two weeks ago.
I'm returning this  week to file hammers and a few other things.

Two e-mails to Kawai tech support didn't yield a reply. What's  the
hammer blow, dip, let-off specs for this?  Action spread too, just  for fun.

Jon,

Kawai is normally pretty responsive.  They've undergone some changes
recently, which may affect the response time.  Try _PMarshall@kawaius.com_
(mailto:PMarshall@kawaius.com) .

I don't have the specs in front of me, but here's what I usually work  with:

47mm blow
2-1 mm let off
10mm keydip
Action spread....:-(  can't help you on that one.  If I'm not  mistaken, it
can't be changed on this--or any current?--model of Kawai.

That should get you pretty close.  Don M. will correct me if I'm  wrong, most
likely.

The ABS action worked well except for a half dozen center  pins
clicking in the rep lever birdseye. I also had to apply Teflon  powder
to the suede rep lever upstop cushion, it was creaking when  engaging
the drop screw.

I've worked on dozens, if not hundreds of Kawais, and I don't think I've
ever heard the rep lever pin clicking in the birdseye.  I've often  heard
clicking from the wippen, but it's almost inevitably a quick  squeak from the
unteflonned knuckle dropping onto the top of the jack.

The drop screws start to squeak on the upstop leather on many Kawais after  a
couple of years.  I've heard it more often on the less expensive  pianos--a
lower grade, perhaps?  I think it is a synthetic material.   It stays pliable,
and is durable, but will squeak if not lubricated.  I do  this by taking some
kind of straight-edge to push down the rep levers so the  pads are more
accesible, then brush on teflon with the sharp end of a felt  mute.  It seems to
work okay.

Overall a nice piano except for the tight, springy tuning  pins
causing tuning to be a chore, adding more than 30 minutes.
It  probably doesn't help the pins in the block with this piano's
ocean view,  maybe a 15W DC in the action ??
--

I guess I've "grown up" with them, so the feel of the pins has never
bothered me.    But I've never done one that lives in a beach  house, either!

The ABS actions worked pretty well, but the new "Millenium" actions, with
carbon composite replacing much of the ABS, are among the nicest actions
available, IMHO.

Have fun!  I've found that the hammers respond well to shaping  and voicing.

Dave Stahl