loose tuning pins

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Sun, 14 Aug 2005 15:20:10 -0600

At 02:05 PM 8/14/2005 -0300, you wrote:
>I have seen instances, where something has been added that causes the wood
>to get worse.
>I was told that it was the glycol product. So I never recommend the
>application of a glycol product, thinking, better safe than sorry.
>John M. Ross
>Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
><mailto:jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca>jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca

Understood. I've heard stories about all the chemical treatments. The only
one I've seen that actually made the condition worse was a miss-applied
"Pin-Tite". Even then, I was only assuming that the pin torque was worse
than originally encountered, due to lack of penetration. I'm a second
generation tech that learned the use of Garfields about 30 years ago. When
applied correctly, it always improves the torque, without jumpiness. In
real loose blocks, I may have to replace a few pins, but very rarely. I've
also used super-thin solutions of the glycol-type solution to "even-out"
the feel of a piano that has floaters and jumpies and poppers and what-not.
Helps out quite a bit.
Your mileage may vary......

Later,
Guy