loose tuning pins

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Sun, 14 Aug 2005 15:56:23 -0600

Sure,
     Average mix is fifty/fifty Garfields to Denatured alcohol. One regular
hypo oiler full per piano. Shake very well. Then, agitate the solution
also. Grands with action covered, uprights horizontal. A few drops around
the pin on the first pass, to break cohesion. Second pass a few more drops,
last pass over the problem areas. (usually low tenor and bass) Finish the
oiler. Two weeks later, tune. Friday included two that were PBR'd two weeks
ago, and one was 160 cents flat. (old Kimbola 3-legged spinet). Pulled-up
well, no loose pins. The other was an old Richmond upright that wasn't so
flat but was much looser. There were a couple of pins I thought about
driving, but didn't. After some coaxing, they stayed put, and will continue
to improve (from experience) their grip for a while, so I wasn't concerned.
Success, profit, satisfaction. Help people make music. I'm complete. Next!

Later,
Guy

P.S.Friday also included 320 miles, a D and an SD and lots of incredibly
gorgeous mountain roads and three cookies from the green-room lady and
water falling out of the sky and temps down to the 50's at mid day. It
doesn't get much better.