string termination

Carl Meyer cmpiano@comcast.net
Sun, 14 Aug 2005 15:20:35 -0700

Thanks for you're thoughtful response.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Overs Pianos" <sec@overspianos.com.au>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, August 13, 2005 7:56 PM
Subject: Re: string termination

> Hi Carl,
>
>>A lot of things about string terminations have bugged me for some time.
>
> Me too. This is a topic which raises the level of pianotech list interest

Finally!

>>Ron Overs promotes hardening of the capo bar, yet the agraffe is a
>>relatively soft material (brass).  The difference is that the capo is
>>straight and the agraffe is round.  Wouldn't the agraffe last longer if it
>>were heavily plated with chrome, nickel or??
>
> It would last longer if it was plated with a hard or harden-able material.
> I think brass is a very poor material for string terminations. After
> re-profiling (both new and used agraffes) we have been plating them with
> Electroless Nickel for some years (since about 1996). This plating is
> harden-able, and it plates with a uniform thickness in the string holes.
> Normal electoplating won't result in a uniform build-up of plating in the
> holes, which is why Chrome isn't a viable alternative plating material.
> Electroless Nickel plating is a process which, once started, is a purely
> chemical plating process. This is why it results in a useful build of
> plating in the holes.

That's interesting.  I'm familiar (a little) with electroless plating but I
didn't know it was hardenable.  Can it be hardened over aluminum as well as
brass or other metals?   I assume a plating shop would have the details.

> [...]
>>bottom of the agraffe South.  The other two surfaces would be called east
>>and west.
>>
>>At the bridge, the string is terminated at maybe SSE (south south east).
>>
>>Wapin claims that their vertical bridge pin encourages the string to
>>vibrate in the horizontal direction quicker before the energy has been
>>dissipated in the vertical mode and hence -longer sustain.
>>
>>Let's make it a given that the impact of the hammer is in a northern
>>direction.
>>
>>Stuart of Australia claims that their bridge termination increases the
>>vertical vibration of the string.   Hmmmm?  How does that effect the
>>sustain????
>
> I've watched struck strings on the Stuart piano, and my observations are
> that the strings in his instruments behave like any other standard string
> termination. I have no reason to suspect the Wapin termination will be any
> different either.
>
>>My esteemed colleuge from one of the fly over states suggests that a
>>string starts out vibrating vertically, slowly starts to drift
>>horizontally but never gets to true horizontal.  He also suggests that a
>>string tends to vibrate at 90 degrees of its termination.  I want to find
>>out if that is true.
>
> The string certainly starts out vibrating in the vertical plane, then
> changes to an elliptical vibrating mode. It appears to degenerate into an
> essentially circular mode at the final decay stage.
>
>>I don't really know, but it has been my assumption (maybe in error) that
>>the string vibrated vertically, slowly drifts elliptically, approaches
>>horizontal, then elliptically in the other direction and then returns to
>>vertical at a much lower level.  This would then be a cyclical phenomenon.
>>Sorry for the flurry of five dollar words.
>>
>>I've been thinking of a new bridge termination scheme for rebuilding but
>>I'm not going to proceed till I answer a basic question.
>
> I suspect that you are about to join a few others, who are on this
> Darwinian quest.
>
>>Here's my question:  A vibrating string has two terminations.  It is
>>excited in the northern direction.  (Ignore the strike point)  What effect
>>on tone will be the termination of the two ends of the string????? Both
>>north, one north and the other south, east or west????   Or no big
>>difference??
>>
>>I have recently found plans on the net to build an led stroboscope. I will
>>build this and look at a string under vibration. I could stretch a wire
>>across my garage and look at it with different terminations.
>>
>>If some of you deep thinkers have an answer to my question that makes
>>common sense, I won't have to do this.  Give me your feedback.
>
> It is a worthy field of investigation Carl. Conventional bridge pins
> suffer severe damage at the termination point. An intermediate solution
> would be hardened bridge pins, but it will be a costly exercise.

As does the wood and that's why I am interested in this.

Carl Meyer PTG assoc
Santa Clara, Ca.